Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Top 5 Chris Cornell Songs of Ever


Chris Cornell. The once and future front man of Soundgarden. Lead singer for Audioslave and Temple of the Dog. Ranked 4th in the list of Heavy Metal's All-Time Top 100 Vocalists by Hit Parader. A powerful voice with fantastic range. His lyrics make me tilt my head and go "whahuh?" but his sound is excellent.

5. Searching With My Good Eye Closed - Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

Classic Chris Cornell. I don't understand what he's trying to say.

Stop you're trying to bruise my mind
I can do it on my own
Stop you're trying to kill my time
It's been my death since I was born
I don't remember half the time
If I'm hiding or I'm lost
But I'm on my way

Someone is bruising his mind, but he can do it himself? Someone's killing his time, it's been his death since he was born? He doesn't remember if he's hiding or lost, but he's on his way? Yeah, I don't know either.

4. Show Me How To Live - Audioslave - Audioslave

Hard driving song from beginning to end. I really like the way he gets his voice to bounce from note to note at the end of the song. The lyrics are close to making sense.

Nail in my hand,
From my creator.
You gave me life,
Now show me how to live.
Nail in my hand,
From my creator.
You gave me life,
Now show me how to live.

3. All Night Thing - Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog

This is the last song on the Temple of the Dog album and it does a fantastic job of wrapping everything up. This is one of my favorite albums of all time. I was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest and this album has always felt like home. It's comfortable and I walk away from it feeling good. It also doesn't feel like Magnetic Poetry which can't be said of all the songs he sings.

2. Doesn't Remind Me of Anything - Out Of Exile - Audioslave

This song is hypnotic. I love the way it transitions from verse to chorus and back. I like not having to decode the lyrics. I also find it strangely uplifting.

I walk the streets of Japan till I get lost
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything
With a graveyard tan carrying a cross
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything

Terrifically vivid lyrics that paint a fantastic picture.

1. Slaves and Bulldozers - Badmotorfinger - Soundgarden

Cornell uses his voice more as an instrument in this song than a tool to tell a story. The repetitive lyrics build tension and the chorus provides relief as his voice soars. It gives me chills when I hear it.

Honorable Mention, Outshined - Badmotorfinger - Soundgarden

I'm looking California, 
And feeling Minnesota oh yeah,

Nuff said!

No comments:

Post a Comment