Monday, December 12, 2011

Much Ado About Tebow

It's time for me to confess; I have been going out of my way to watch the Denver Broncos play since Tim Tebow was named the starter. Full disclosure, I am a Seattle Seahawks fan, and I've been watching the NFL since 1985. I referred to John Elway as Horse Face from then until his second Super Bowl win, and even passed that. It came out again today when I saw him watching his new star in action from a luxury box at Mile High Stadium. Long story short, I truly hate the Denver Broncos. So when I say that I'm going out of my way to watch the Denver Broncos I want you to understand how extraordinary that is.

Since being named the starter Tim Tebow has led the Broncos to a 7-1 record including 4th quarter comebacks over Miami, New York Jets, San Diego, Minnesota, and the latest victim Chicago. My personal favorite was the win over Kansas City where Tebow completed 2 of his 8 passes and still managed to win the game. A truly awful performance, but still must see TV.

The part that I'm enjoying the most is watching former players and coaches on the pre and post game shows. They seem to be about evenly split between Tebow haters and Tebow believers. Tom Jackson on ESPN has been waxing on about Tebow since his win over the Jets, and it's eating Keyshawn Johnson and Chris Carter alive. Over on NFL Network Warren Sapp is left shaking his head in disbelief. "Assignment football, that's all it is." Meaning that if everyone on the defense stays home and does their job Tebow's style of offense won't work. Less vocal, but almost as upset, is Marshall Faulk. He has been rendered almost silent.

 I'm guessing New England is going to go in to Denver next week and beat the snot out of the Broncos. Once that happens who knows what the next step is. The Broncos may collapse and miss the playoffs, but I hope they don't. I mean can you imagine if Denver wins out, gets a good seed going into the playoffs and makes it to the super big game? I'd watch every game, and when they met the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLVI, I'll be rooting for Green Bay... and Tim Tebow.


No comments:

Post a Comment