Friday, April 20, 2012

2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs Round One Update

West

Vancouver Canucks vs Los Angeles Kings     I picked: Canucks

The Kings lead the series 3 games to 1. The Canucks have replaced Luongo as their starting goaltender in favor of Corey Schneider and it looks to have worked. At least for one game. This series picks up again on Sunday in Vancouver.

St. Louis Blues vs San Jose Sharks     I picked Blues

The St. Louis Blues lead the series 3 games to 1. I haven't paid a lot of attention to this series. It's enough for me to know that the Blues are ahead and the Sharks are not.

Phoenix Coyotes vs Chicago Blackhawks   I picked Coyotes

The Coyotes lead the series 3 games to 1. This series has been exciting with the running of goalies, open ice head shots, and a @BizNasty being tossed out of the game for not having his jersey tied down. The Coyotes are on my short list of teams to root for. Can you imagine them winning the Cup this year then being sold and starting next year someplace else? Good Times.

Nashville Predators vs Detroit Red Wings     I picked Predators

The Nashville Predators lead the series 3 games to 1. This series has a lot riding on it for my family. Another hockey dad and I have put 50 push-ups from our kids on the outcome. So far Pekka Rinne has been spectacular in net for Nashville. If I had to pick out a prototype to use to build my ultimate goalie it would start with him. Hopefully Shea Weber can avoid throwing any more Red Wings into the turnbuckle and the Preds can finish this off tonight.


East

New York Rangers vs Ottawa Senators     I picked Rangers

This series is tied 2-2. I wasn't interested in this series to begin with. That's changed now that the Senators have risen up to win two games. Really physical series with lots of hitting, a couple of line brawls and a Brandon Dubinsky match penalty.

Boston Bruins vs Washington Capitals     I picked Bruins

This series is tied 2-2. Riding some hot goaltending by Braden Holtby, the Capitals are making this a series. The Bruins don't seem to be able to find the back of the net. It's a lot to ask of the 22 year old Holtby to carry this Capitals team much further in the playoffs, but a first round upset isn't out of the question. Look out Bruins.

Florida Panthers vs New Jersey Devils     I picked Devils

This series is tied 2-2. Martin Brodeur may be past his prime, but he still has the ability to rise to the occasion. He posted a shutout in game 4 to tie the series. I haven't seen any of these games, but it's good to hear that Marty is having some success in the post season.

Pittsburgh Penguins vs Philadelphia Flyers     I picked Penguins

The Flyers lead this series 3 games to 1. If you like rough and tumble, high scoring games then this has been the series to watch. Lots of rough stuff before, between, and after the whistles. Big name goaltenders under-performing (I'm looking at you Fleury and Bryzgalov). It looked like the Flyers would walk away with this one until game four when the Penguins beat them 10-3. If any team can come back from 3 games down it would be the Penguins.

So far so good. The only pick I really want back is the Canucks over the Kings. I did not see that coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment